We look forward to providing a supportive, rewarding environment for student interns. Here are just a few of the highlights. Please contact us directly for a complete Student Placement Manual.
Please Note: At this time we are only accepting applications for Summer 2020.
We believe in the importance of practical experience in preparing students to assume jobs in the recreation or leisure service field and in preparation for TR Certification. This program is designed to maximize student involvement in agency operations on three levels: agency organization and administration, agency program operations, and working knowledge of specific areas of programming. The program is a contractual arrangement between the DPR, the Educational Institution and the Student Intern.
- Provide students an opportunity for practical experience in a setting which is providing established professional Therapeutic Recreation (TR) Services commensurate with the student’s educational level, previous experience and professional goals.
- Provide students an opportunity to learn the working aspects of a selected setting equivalent to his/her educational expectations. To experience the delivery of TR services in one or more roles (e.g. leadership, participant intervention, documentation, evaluation, and administration).
The TR Office has several Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (CTRS) employed year round. Overall supervision is provided by a full time Therapeutic Recreation Programmer, all of whom maintain the CTRS designation. Interns are required to meet biweekly with their supervisor. Meet our Therapeutic Recreation staff.
- Only one student per term
- Only summer internships available for seniors
- Application needs to be completed and submitted to Robyn Mitchell, CTRS
- Agency/University agreement form must be attached with application in order to be considered. Please note that this does not guarantee placement.
- Student will complete an interview similar to that of a permanent position
- Acceptance will be coordinated by educational coordinator and program supervisor
Deadlines for Application-
Summer Internship: February 14 or until filled
Please contact Robyn Mitchell, CTRS at 703-228-4731 for more information.