The Department of Parks and Recreation provides modifications upon request for individuals with disabilities. Modifications are based on individual needs and may include:
- Specialized staff training
- Creating an individualized modification plan
- Using adapted equipment and techniques
- Providing sign language interpreters
- Large print and Braille materials
- Providing additional staff support
We proudly endorse the National Recreation and Park Association’s 1999 Position Statement on Inclusion. We are dedicated to the four inclusion concepts of:
- Right to leisure (for all individuals)
- Quality of life (enhancements through leisure experiences)
- Support, assistance and modifications
- Barrier removal
- Sign up for the class or program through the Registration Office, indicate any modifications needed at that time.
- Please Note: You can call the TR Office in advance to discuss and explore programming options.
- Contact the TR Office to request a modification prior to the start of the program. Please keep in mind that the sooner you contact us, the better we are able to serve you.
- TR Programmer will assess participant’s needs and will design a modification plan.
- Modification plan is shared with the participant (or parent/guardian) and the program staff.
- TR Programmer will monitor the modifications and work with staff, parents and participant to resolve any issues.
- At the end of the program, the participant (or parent/guardian) will evaluate the support they received.
Minimum Requirements for Successful Inclusion
The same minimum requirements that apply to a person without a disability also apply to a person with a disability and include:
- Meeting age and registration requirements
- Following the Code of Conduct
- Voluntary participation: Participation will be encouraged and aided, but not forced.
- Level of participation: Participant will engage in scheduled activities for the majority of program duration.
- Ability to use a consistent form of communication to indicate basic needs and follow simple directions
- Ability to tolerate and function, with assistance, as a member of a larger social group (10 or more people).
Questions? 703-228-4740 or TTY 711