Therapeutic Recreation Social Clubs
Teens Going Places
This club is designed for teens with intellectual disabilities to hang out and have fun. There will be a monthly meeting on the 1st Friday of every month, at Langston CC The goal is for the members to get to know one another, increase leisure awareness skills, learn community resources and participate in a variety of group games and activities. Additionally, once a month month we will go on a trip in the local area. Dates/times for trips will vary. Trips are an additional fee.
Young Adults Going Places
This club is aimed for young adults with intellectual disabilities to come together and enjoy their leisure time with their peers. They meet on the 1st Friday of every month at Walter Reed Community Center. Members will also have the opportunity to participate in one trip a month. At the meetings members will suggest events and vote, participate in arts and crafts, health and wellness, group games, leisure awareness and specialty visitors Dates/times for trips will vary. Trips are an additional fee.
Several times a year Young Adults Going Places will do a joint trip or event with Adults Going Places.
Adults Going Places
For the older adults with intellectual disabilities they meet on the 1st Friday of every month at Walter Reed Community Center. The purpose of this program is to provide the members with an opportunity to socialize with peers and attend up to 2 community outings per month. At the meetings members will suggest events and vote, participate in arts and crafts, health and wellness, group games, leisure awareness and specialty visitors. Dates/times for trips will vary. Trips are an additional fee.
Several times a year Adults Going Places will do a joint trip or event with Young Adults Going Places.
How To Join
|New Participants (never registered for social clubs before)||Returning Participants (registered in the last 18 months
|1. Select a Social Club||1. Select a Social Club|
|2. Complete a Participant Modification Information Form and Hold Harmless||2. Complete an updated Hold Harmless|
|3. Call 703-228-4740 to set up an intake and purchase membership.||3. Call 703-228-4740 to purchase membership|
|4. Once intake/first meeting is complete register for Events and Trips||4. Register for Events and Trips|
Registration information for all participants:
- Membership Cost: $45
- Memberships are valid from October – July and must be renewed each year.
- An intake screening is mandatory for all new registrants and returning individuals who have not participated in more than 18 months. You cannot participate in trips until you have completed an intake and attended one meeting. Please contact the TR Office (703) 228-4740 to set up the intake meeting.
- Trip and activity fees are paid for separately month by month.
How to Register
- By phone: 703-228-4740
- In person: 3700 S. Four Mile Run Dr., Arlington, VA
- Register Online [search for: Adapted Programs]
Event Information Pertaining to all Clubs:
- Trips and activities typically range from Free to $30, most average around $15. Trip costs are not included in membership fee.
- Newsletters with the month’s activities will be emailed and/or mailed out by the 3rd week of the previous month.