Aquatics Session Information
Aquatics classes run year-round in quarterly periods which align with the season. Each session of classes is advertised through the Enjoy Arlington catalog. Registration for each season starts for residents at least one month prior to the start of the class session. It is important to register early (as soon as registration opens on the first day) as the program is popular and in high-demand. Below are the seasons and approximate dates for registration. For more information about registration and specific dates or to view the class catalog click here.
|Quarterly Sessions||Group Lesson Registration begins at 7:30 a.m. online only||Private Swim Lesson Registration begins at 12 noon online only|
|Fall dates: mid September – mid December||1st Wednesday in August (Specific Date listed here as it approaches)||Wednesday: approximately 4 weeks after Fall group lesson registration|
|Winter dates: mid January – spring break for Arlington public schools||1st Wednesday in December (Specific Date listed here as it approaches)||Wednesday: approximately 4 weeks after Winter group lesson registration|
|Spring dates: mid April – year end of public schools||1st Wednesday in March (Specific Date listed here as it approaches)||Wednesday: approximately 4 weeks after Spring group lesson registration|
|Summer dates: after July 4 – before Labor Day||2nd Wednesday in May (Specific Date listed here as it approaches)||Wednesday: approximately 6 weeks after Summer group lesson registration|
Current Session Information
If you or your child are already registered in an aquatics class for the current session please read the below information before attending your first class.
|Summer 2018 Session Dates||Fall 2018 Session Dates||SPRING 2019 Session Dates|
- No make-up lessons are available when participants miss class due to personal reasons. You may not attend ANY other class than the one you have registered NO Exceptions
- If a class is cancelled by DPR, the cost of one class will be credited back to your “household account” after the end of the session. During the winter season DPR does plan for one to two weeks of make-ups after Arlington Public School Spring Break in cases of severe inclement weather
- Participants/Parents indicated agreement with Hold Harmless online during registration. Parents/participants will need to sign this on the first day of attendance IF not completed online in advance. A participant must be registered in a class in order to participate.
- If you need to speak to the instructor, please do so, briefly, during the break between classes or make arrangements to communicate another time.
- On the first day that you/participant attends class you should be issued a pass with name printed on it. Please keep your class pass as proof of registration at that specific facility; participants need to show this pass at the front desk of the pool EACH week. If you have any problems getting a pass please speak with your instructor or contact the coordinator.
- If you change your registration or register late, bring your receipt and show to the front desk and instructor to receive your class pass.
- Please arrive on time and depart at the end of the class to allow for smooth program transition.
- Participants are NOT allowed to swim before or after class. Unless general admission is paid at the pool or customer has obtained a pool membership. Participants under 48″ must be accompanied by a responsible paying adult in the water or have passed appropriate swim test. For more information on this and other pool rules go to Arlington Public Schools Pools website
- Parents should take their children to the rest room in an appropriate locker room prior to class.
- If your instructor suggests change in swim level, the instructor should let you know on the first class meeting. You must contact the Aquatic Class Coordinator’s office to make these changes. Please use the Transfer Request Formprovided by DPR staff on deck.
CANCELLATION/REFUNDS are subject to $20 Administrative fee and must be made within 48 hours after the FIRST scheduled class by calling the Registration Office at 703-228-4747. Press 1 to speak with a representative. Refunds for medical reasons are considered on a case by case basis. For full refund policy, please see the Enjoy Arlington catalog or call registration office. All refunds must be requested through the registration office. Email registration office.
- Bathing suit, or approved alternative (no street clothes allowed). For questions about approved alternatives please contact APS facility staff.
- Bathing suits should be appropriate for active movement in the pool
- Lockers are available for daily use only, must bring your own lock
- Longer hair should be worn up or in a swim cap
- No shoes are allowed on pool deck, must be barefoot or wear pool shoes
- Use of goggles is NOT suggested for Pre-Fin, Fin 1, Level 1 and Parent/Child classes
- For levels Fin 2 and above and Level 2 and above and all adult levels goggles are recommended.
- Goggles should be adjusted prior to class time to ensure proper fit
- Earplugs if desired or necessary
- All other equipment is provided
- If the student is not toilet trained he or she must also wear a swim diaper/plastic pants
- Parents are welcome to observe class from designated areas. Non-verbal reinforcement is encouraged. DO NOT leave the facility during your child’s class.
- Please refrain from giving directions or corrections to class participants. This can cause a distraction to the class, no matter how helpful it may seem.
- The locker rooms are to be used by those of the appropriate gender. A child under the age of 6, may use the locker room of the opposite gender with parent supervision. Family changing areas are available please ask APS facility staff for more information.
- Injuries, incidents or unsafe conditions should be reported to the APS facility staff and class coordinator immediately.
- In case of emergency follow the directions on the APS facility staff. Please have a towel in case of an evacuation.
- Cameras may be used on the last day of class, please discontinue use if it’s a distraction to the class.
- For inclement weather and cancellations, please call 703-228-4715 or the pool directly. If Arlington County Public Schools are closed for inclement weather, DPR swim classes are usually cancelled.
Important Contact Information
Aquatic Coordinator: Trina Wood 703-228-1826
Individual Sports Supervisor: Jennifer Lainhart 703-228-1809
Inclement Weather: 703-228-4715
Registration Office 703-228-4747
Arlington County Public School Pools:
Wakefield High School Pool 703-228-2395
Washington-Lee High School Pool 703-228-6262
Yorktown High School Pool 703-228-8754
APS Pool Facilities Office 703-228-6263