Access to affordable meals and transportation, health promotion and nutritional education, community services, social events and more!
The café, formerly known as the Congregate Meal Program, was established in 1972 under the Older Americans Act (OAA). It is designed to help older individuals remain independent and involved in their community by providing meals, transportation and related nutrition services. The program presents opportunities for social engagement and meaningful volunteer roles, which contribute to overall health and well-being and helps prevent the need for more costly medical interventions.
For more information, please read our Social 60+ Café brochure.
More Than Just a Café!
- Each location provides at least one hot, appropriate meal each day.
- Each meal is developed by a registered dietician to ensure nutrition and tastiness.
- Rest assured! All program coordinators are certified food handlers.
- This program not only promotes exercise and healthy living, but also will help increase social interaction, volunteer opportunities and inform older adults about community-based services.
- Abides by Virginia Department of Aging and Rehabilitative Services State requirements.
Who Can Enjoy the Café?
Arlington County residents age 60 years or older and their spouses, regardless of age or income.
- Services may be available to a limited number of individuals who are under age 60 if they are individuals with disabilities who reside with older individual or volunteers who provide services during meal hours.
- There are no income restrictions for this program, this is an age-based program; but priority for the subsidized meals may be given to people with lower income and greater social and economic need.
- Individuals must be mobile, not homebound and physically, mentally and medically able to attend the café in accordance with Arlington’s Area Agency on Aging guidelines.
How Much Does it Cost?
- Nutritious meals are available at a price you can afford. Participants are encouraged to (confidentially) make a donation for services provided.
- Any participant wishing to purchase a meal at full cost may do so.
Sign up in-person or call one of our locations for more information.
Arlington Mill Community Center
909 South Dinwiddie Street
Arlington, VA 22204
Langston-Brown Community Center
2121 North Culpeper Street
Arlington, VA 22207
Walter Reed Community Center
2909 South 16th Street
Arlington, VA 22204