Thank you for participating in the ArlinGnomes self-guided scavenger hunt! Each gnome along the way has fun related activities for you to enjoy at home on your own time. Check them out below:
From Arlington Parks & Rec:
- Check out all of the nature facts from the ArlinGnomes scavenger hunt here!
- Nature Centers on Youtube: Watch exciting and educational videos by our amazing Nature Center staff!
- Rec @ Home: Fun, recreational activities for Elementary-aged youth
- Learn About Arlington’s Trees: Read about the County’s tree programs and how we are good stewards to our natural resources.
- Learn About Arlington’s Streams and the Wildlife that Live There
Learn More About Wildlife:
- Flying Squirrel Facts: Read all about the Southern Flying Squirrel
- Learn About Virginia’s Flying Squirrels: Fun facts about the Southern Flying Squirrel.
- Make an Origami Flying Squirrel
- Fox Facts: Read about Red Fox facts from National Geographic
- Leaf Fox Art: Turn ordinary leaves into wonderful arty creations.
- Fantastic Mr. Fox Activities: Boggis, Bunce and Bean are the meanest three farmers you could meet. They are determined to get Mr Fox – but he has other plans! Check out these fun activities based on the book Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl.
- Salamanders: Learn all about Salamanders of Virginia
- Animal Camouflage Scavenger Hunt: Learn about animal camouflage on a frog scavenger hunt
- Life Cycle of a Salamander Activities
- Woodpecker Facts: Lessons for kids.
- Woodpecker Anatomy: Explore an illustrated Woodpecker skull
- Woodpecker Science Activities: Learn what a woodpecker craft can teach your child about science.
Learn More About the Natural Environment:
- Fungus Facts: Learn about fungus from the North American Mycological Association
- Exploring Fungi: Did you know there are 99,000 known species of fungi in the world? Learn more about this cool fungus!
- Create a Fungus Garden: Grow fungus starting with nothing but ordinary food.
- Geology 101: Read all about rocks from National Geographic
- How to Make a Rock with Kids: Make your own rock at home!
- Rock Buffet Food Project: Learn about rocks and make some tasty treats!
- Tree Activities for Kids: Tree science investigations, literacy and math activities, book-related projects, crafts and more!
- Project Learning Tree: Nature activities for families
- Water Wall Activity Using Recycled Materials: Save rain water to use in your garden or yard with this DIY water wall!
- Wetlands Food Source Matching Game: Match the wetland animal to their food source.
- Wetlands Educational Activities: Education programs, videos, teaching guides and more!
- Wildflowers: Learn about the widlflowers of Virginia
- DIY Wildflower Seed Bombs: A lesson in nature that turns into a pretty little art project and then a functional thing to enjoy!
- Egg Carton Wildflower Garden: Explore the outdoors and enjoy a fun and easy DIY project!
Learn More About Leave No Trace