The Tree Canopy Fund provides grants to plant trees on private property or to maintain trees.
- Tree Planting: Here’s a list of trees you could apply for; each new tree will be about two inches in diameter.
- Tree Maintenance: Grants will be given to help maintain a tree that is designated in the Champion Tree Program and is designated or under application for protection through the County’s Tree and Shrub Ordinance as specimen, heritage, or memorial tree.
You are eligible to receive a Tree Canopy Fund grant if you represent a
- Civic and homeowner association
- Community nonprofit organization
- Civic service club
- School-related group
- Ad hoc neighborhood group
- Places of worship
New for Spring 2020 – the opportunity to apply for small trees for property owners with small front yards impeded by utility lines.
Tree Canopy Fund Grant Application Process
- Fri., Dec. 20, 2019: Deadline to submit an application. Complete this application to request a large tree. Property owners with small front yards impeded by utility lines, complete this application to request a Sweetbay Magnolia or Redbud.
- Mid-January 2020: Applicants will be notified of final decision.
- March/April 2020: EcoAction Arlington will contact applicants with an estimated planting date. Trees will be planted by the end of April.
For more information contact EcoAction Arlington at 703-228-6427 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
View the Tree Canopy Fund Guidelines.
The Tree Canopy Fund is administered by EcoAction Arlington and the Arlington County Urban Forestry Commission (UFC). EcoAction Arlington is a tax-deductible, 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, while UFC is a volunteer, citizen commission, whose members are appointed by the Arlington County Board.
Projects are evaluated by a grant review panel consisting of representatives of EcoAction Arlington, UFC and Arlington County staff. Projects may be approved as requested, may be reduced in scope, or may be denied based upon the priorities of the Tree Canopy Fund and the availability of funds.