Don’t Let Fees be a Barrier
The Arlington County Fee Reduction Policy bases discounts on total household income and size relative to the currently-published HUD’s Section 8 income limits. If your household income is below the threshold, many of your park and recreation fees could be reduced.
All Arlington County Park and Recreation programs, fees and services are eligible for fee reduction except for personal training, private swim classes for adults, adult leagues and facility rentals. Any member in a household that has qualified for a fee reduction can receive a fee reduction, however, fee reductions cannot be used for payments at events.
Fee reductions are available to persons who live in or own property in Arlington County Virginia and members of their household, and employees of Arlington County Government and members of their household.
How to Apply
Please visit one of the following locations, Monday through Friday:
With the following:
- Complete the online application form or fill one out at a community center.
- Proof of identity: U.S. driver’s license or passport from any country.
- Proof of residency: driver’s license (with Arlington County address) or lease agreement/recent utility bill with the applicant’s name.
- Proof of financial need: A verification document that qualifies you to receive reduced fees (see list below of acceptable documents).
For individuals who do not meet criteria or are unable to provide the documentation, you may file Fee Reduction Income Documentation Waiver and bring that to one of our community centers.
All fee reductions must be renewed annually.
Documents that prove income for an entire household include:
- Current Arlington Public School letter verifying eligibility for free or reduced lunch
- Department of Human Services (DHS) Woman, Infant and Children Program (WIC)
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) or Food Stamps
- Qualifying letter from DHS employee in Child & Family or IDD Services
- Tax returns (1040 or 760) filed within last 12 months
- Unemployed adult with a letter from a governmental agency as proof of unemployment, “adult individual enrollments only.” = discount of 50% (as long as any other income does not exceed the section 8 guidelines).
- Food Stamps, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) = discount of 75%
Documents that prove income for an individual
Only individuals (not family members) will qualify for fee reductions if one of the following is provided:
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Unemployed adult (as long as any other income does not exceed the Section 8 guidelines). Accepted for verification is showing a valid unemployment check or statement or a letter from the previous employer.
Fee Reduction Schedule
|Section 8 Definitions of % of Median Income||Income Limits Effective April, 2020|
|% Household Pays||Household Size|
|1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8 or More|
|25% of Fee||$26,500||$30,250||$34,050||$37,800||$40,850||$43,850||$46,900||$49,900|
|50% of Fee||$44,100||$50,400||$56,700||$63,000||$68,050||$73,100||$78,150||$83,200|
|75% of Fee||$55,750||$63,700||$71,650||$79,600||$86,000||$92,350||$98,750||$105,100|
*Information based upon Federal Section 8 Medium Income Determinations for Arlington County, VA.
Have questions or need further assistance, call 703-228-4747.
Fees are not intended to be a deterrent for households with members wishing to participate in DPR programs. If your household is experiencing a financial hardship but does not meet the fee reduction eligibility requirements, a separate process is available whereby households may apply for a hardship exemption for certain DPR offerings for a period of up to six months if that household has a documented temporary financial hardship. Requests for temporary financial hardships must be made in writing by completing the Financial Hardship Request form. Hardship approvals will be determined based on documented inability to pay the published fee for DPR program offerings.