1:00 pm-6:00 pm
Charles Drew Community Center
Celebrate Black History Month at the 26th annual Feel the Heritage Festival! On Saturday, February 24, 1-6 p.m. at Drew Community Center, join us for live music, dance and spoken word, dozens of community and artisan vendors, delicious food options, free kids’ activities and more.
JoGo Project: Inspired by the musical stylings of Chuck Brown, The Jogo Project was founded in 2014 by Chuck Brown alumnus Elijah Jamal Balbed during his residency at Strathmore. The group features several DC natives, as well as musicians from around the country who have since claimed DC as their home. JoGo is known to put on an eclectic live show that features elements of Jazz, GoGo, Funk, Hip-Hop and Reggae.
Participating artisan vendors*:
- Ashley Lynn: Handmade clothes and shoes for American Girl Dolls, cloth soft books for kids, sports teams car headrest covers.
- BFabricArt: Gift items created from African print fabrics, including small bags, change purses, key fobs and bookmarks. Ladies’ wearables and accessories.
- Mary Kay: Skincare, glamour and fragrances.
- Remedies from Nature: Aromatherapy/herbal products, personal body care products and hair care products, including herbal teas, salves, liniments, tinctures, soaps, lotions, deodorants, soaks, etc.
- Watkins Home Products: Flavors, spices, lotions, body wash, hand soap, household cleaners.
- Whoop Dee Doo Promo: Handcrafted Afrocentric dolls, candy jars, brooches, African snoods and scarves.
- Wreaths & More by Sandy: Door wreaths, centerpieces, ‘thinking of you’ jars, lighted blocks, gift baskets and more. Items are sized down for smaller spaces.
*Participating vendors subject to change. List will be updated as vendors are confirmed.
Free Kids’ Activities:
- Make and Take Crafts
- Face Painting
- Balloon Art
- Giant Games
- “Passport” through the festival – collect all “stamps” and get a prize!
Interested artisan vendors, fill out the online application. The fee to participate is $35.
Interested food vendors, email Laura Barragan at email@example.com for more information.