For permanent, non seasonal jobs, check out the Arlington County Jobs page.
Non-seasonal temporary employment is advertised in the employment section of The Washington Post.
For Summer 2014 job opportunities, read below for job descriptions, expectations, requirements, and application instructions.
Summer Job Opportunities with Arlington County Parks
Applications for any of the positions below will be accepted at Parks & Recreation Administrative Office, 2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite #414, Arlington, VA 22201.
- Applications for summer camp jobs will begin to be reviewed and called for interviews beginning February 18, 2014, however these positions will remain open until filled. The goal is to have all camp jobs filled by May 19, 2014. Applications received after that date will be considered only if there are openings.
- Applications for Park Ranger Aide must be in no later than February 18, 2014 to be reviewed.
Please note interviews will be conducted on a continuous basis and applicants are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible. Written notification will be sent to those applicants who applied but were not hired, once all positions are filled. Generally, these letters are sent out around late June.
Opportunities for temporary summer camp employment with the Arlington County Department of Parks and Recreation include work as Camp Directors, Assistant Directors, and support staff in tot camps, elementary camps, teen programs, therapeutic recreation camps, arts camps and evening programs. Programs are located at recreation centers, schools and parks throughout the County. These positions vary in days and hours of work, from a few hours per week to a full 40 hour per week schedule. Job classifications, base requirements and hourly wage rates are listed as follows:
- STUDENT ASSISTANT I & II – $7.25 – $8.80/Hour
Responsible for assisting all leaders in the summer camp or program activities and operations. These individuals are either non-high school graduates (SA I) or high school graduates enrolled in post-high school level education programs who have not accumulated at least 3 months of relevant experience (SA II). Applications will be accepted only from individuals who have previously volunteered in one or more of our camps.
- RECREATION ASSISTANT I – $13.13/Hour
Responsible for assisting with the leading of recreation activities and behavior management of participants for a summer camp. Assist in camp or program operations. Duties may vary, depending on specific recreational populations served, i.e., pre-schoolers, school age children, or teens. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent, plus three months experience in administering recreational programs. CPR and First Aid Certification is desirable for applicants hired at this level.
- RECREATION ASSISTANT II (including Park Ranger Aides) – $13.97/Hour
Responsible for assisting in the planning, leading, and conducting of recreation activities for a camp, behavior management of participants, and assisting in the evaluations of the activities and the participants. Duties may vary depending on specific recreational populations served, i.e., pre-schoolers, school age children, or teens. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent, plus six months experience in administering recreational programs or facility monitoring. Certification in CPR and First Aid is required for all applicants hired at this level.
- RECREATION ASSISTANT III – $15.59/Hour
Responsible for planning, leading, and conducting recreation activities for a summer camp. Responsible for completing participant and program evaluations. Duties and activities may vary according to area of assignment, i.e., pre-schoolers, school age, and/or teens, as well specialty camp programs. Performs related supervisory and administrative duties. Minimum requirements: Completion of requirements for graduation from high school or GED equivalent, plus one year experience in administering recreation programs. Position requires CPR and First Aid certification.
- RECREATION ASSISTANT IV – $18.78/Hour
Responsible for directing a summer camp or a lead staff for therapeutic recreation camps with responsibility for all programs. Duties and activities may vary according to area of assignment, i.e., pre-schoolers, school age, and/or teens, as well as specialty camp programs. Performs supervisory and administrative duties. Minimum requirements: Completion of the requirements for graduation from an accredited college or university with a degree in leisure or recreational studies, special education (for therapeutic recreation positions) or a related field, plus one year experience in administrating recreation programs. CPR and First Aid certification are required for all positions at this level. If you are hired as a Tot Camp Director, you must be 21 years old at time of employment.
Note: The Recreation Assistant I, II, and III positions may substitute education for experience on a year-for-year basis. For the Recreation Assistant IV position, you may substitute experience for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Expectations for All Positions
Staff must posses the following:
- Good character and integrity
- Positive communication skills
- Ability to complete tasks as assigned and take initiative
- Comfort participating with or supervising participants in a swimming pool environment (If applicable)
Some positions require a valid motorized vehicle operator’s license and driving history record check.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the application process or call 703-228-3327 on weekdays between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- For more information about the selection process or specific camp job duties email Stacy Chouinard at email@example.com or call 703-228-1856 on weekdays between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- For information about the selection process for Park Ranger Aide job duties email Scott Haines at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 703-525-0168 weekdays between 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- DD users use Relay 711, M-F, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
* Note: Actual hourly wage rates may vary, depending on County Board approval of Fiscal Year 2015 operating budget.